Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)

  I am writing this post for The Umpteenth Blogathon Hosted by Essays from the Couch.UMPTEENTH BLOGATHON0001.jpg

 Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is classic musical about towns girl Millie (Jane Powell) who marries backwoodsman Adam Pontipee (Howard Keel) after a whirlwind courtship and goes to live with him and his six brothers on his farm.

 Howard Keel sings "Bless Yore Beutiful Hide."


Jane Powell sings "Wonderful, Wonderful Day."


 Jane Powell sings "Goin' Co'tin'" and preform a fun dance number with the brothers.


 The barn-raising dance is one of highlights of the movie.


 The Brothers sing "Lonesome Polecat" and preform a ballet type number.

 Howard Keel and the brothers sing "Sobbin' Women."


 The girls sing "June Bride."


 The brothers and the girls sing "Spring, Spring, Spring."


 I  have seen this movie so many times so I thought it would be perfect for this blogathon; it is also the first musical I remember liking. Even if you aren't a big fan of musicals I would suggest trying it, I think it's a classic.






 

 


Comments

  1. This is a favorite of mine too and one I've also seen umpteen times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this movie all the way through--just the Girl Hunt Ballet--but it looks like so much fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and have seen it a million times, one of my first musicals, maybe the first I liked too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane Powell and Howard Keel toured in South Pacific, I Do I Do, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers in the 1980s. We caught them when they appeared in Toronto. In Seven Brides for Seven Brothers when Keel stepped onstage and began singing Bless Yore Beautiful Hide, you could feel the audience sigh. What a moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post. When something is as joyful as this movie, why wouldn't you go back, say umpteen times?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I the only one who thinks if you hired a team of engineers to design the perfect leading man for musicals, they would have come up with Howard Keel?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um... *looks around, whispers* I have never seen this film! I know, it's one I ought to have seen by now, but just haven't had opportunity. However, your post has encouraged me to watch it sooner rather than later. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Ten Favorite Disney Movie Soundtracks

The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox