Roy Rogers - My Favorite Western Star

  I am writing this post for the Legends of Western Cinema Week hosted by Along the Brandywine, Hamlette's Soliloquy, and Meanwhile in Rivendell.

Roy Rogers has always been my favorite western star, so I thought I would put together a list of some of my favorite movies of his.




King of the Cowboys (1943)

 With Roy Rogers, Smiley Burnette, Bob Nolan and the Sons of the Pioneers, and Peggy Moran. 

 Roy defeats saboteurs during WWII.







 The Carson City Kid (1940)

 With Roy Rogers, Gabby Hayes, and Pauline Moore

 Roy goes undercover as a bandit to try to find the man who killed his brother.






 Billy the Kid Returns (1938)

 With Roy Rogers, Smiley Burnette, and Lynne Roberts. 

 Roy plays a look-a-like for Billy the Kid.







 Roy Rogers was also a very good singer of western songs, so I thought I would post some of my favorite songs he sang.















 

Comments

  1. Your favourite titles brought back quite a few memories.

    A few years ago I shared a hospital room with a lady in her 90s (much older than myself). We started talking about movies and she shared that her family made her take her younger siblings and cousins to the theatre and her favourite was when a Roy Rogers movie was playing. She didn't let on to the kids what a big fan she was. After the nurses brought our nighttime meds we would sing Happy Trails and say goodnight.

    My adult developmentally delayed son still loves Roy and the Sons of the Pioneers the way he did when he was a kid, particularly the Pecos Bill segment of Disney's Melody Time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice story. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  2. I was introduced to Roy's movies when my family got a dozen or so on VHS when I was a kid, and my younger siblings and I watched them many times over, learned all the songs, and played make-believe pretending to be the characters. I still have a real soft spot for them. Romance on the Range and Sunset Serenade are probably my favorites, but I like King of the Cowboys too! 1942-43 is my favorite "era" of his movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Romance on the Range" and Sunset Serenade" are goods ones, the 1942-1943 era has some really good movies his.

      Delete
  3. What fun! I watched 6 or 8 episodes of The Roy Rogers Show when I was a kid -- our library had them on VHS, and we'd check them out every once in a while. I thought they were extremely fun, and I still quote one of them from time to time. (Pat had smashed his thumb with a hammer and was fussing about it, and Roy said, "Aww, it's too far from your heart to hurt ya." I loved that line and have used it many, many times in real life.)

    I should introduce my kids to Roy Rogers! I have a bunch of his movies on DVD, but haven't watched any of them in years. Thanks for the reminder to pull them out one of these days :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Roy Rogers Show is a lot of fun. :) It's been a while since I've watched it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)

The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox

My Ten Favorite Disney Movie Soundtracks